Sunday 24 November 2019

Hi folks,
I managed to both locate and dust off my old blog that I created and populated back in 2009. I was an undergrad at NYU and wrote some cringe-worthy missives. It'd be silly to delete them though; posterity reigns. Ten years later and I'm still lexically oriented, and heading to New Zealand for some unknown amount of time.

A few people asked me if I'd be documenting my trip in any virtual form and my answer  has been a shrugging "no" thus far. But I'm socially porous and sway, so I'll take this stab at a new routine and see how much traction it gains. It's 3 days before I leave Portland and I want to kick this off by memorializing a handwritten poem I've hung on to for a few years. I'll recycle the paper and type it here:

Tooth Care

Thomas and I have been discussing
in a most heated way

The pros and cons of our flossing methods,
respectively

Right to left, top to bottom
middle to outside
before the brush, after, before + after

Disposable pick
length of string. Dial it back
waxen, flaxen, everlasting

What a time, if we could all
freely share our true flossophies

On the back of the page I wrote this poem. A different energy to be sure:

Entering closed
bound up, a taut hotel fitted sheet
foundation intact
passed all inspections

I guess I have to socialize
what does that mean again?
Every time I lock eyes with a definition,
the pieces shift

your gaze evades me
bite my lip
gnaw on my nail
dissociate

                                    Thank you,
                                              I trust you to
                                             bring me back

No comments:

Post a Comment