Wednesday 18 March 2009

Michigan

It's really good. That is the overwhelming truth. I had a bit of dabbling with my fraught emotions in, say, the first 24 hours of the trip but I think I'm settled now. Too bad I go back tomorrow. This is, as they say, a learning experience, I guess.

Things I've noticed:

There are lots of chocolate stores in this state. Stores that are fancy and sell chocolate in different varieties and wrapped in thick wax paper. And fudge.

Water slides: Driving in both the Detroit area and the Northern Mich area has allowed me to see many isolated water slides along the side of highways. You know, like tall, curly enclosed water slides that are in water parks...except these slides stand alone.

Flowers For algernon: remember that book? I do. I say that I have read it but really I have just read one emotional chapter from it, as in my 7th grade "Anthology" (textbook full of random bits of novels we had to read) there was one chapter assigned. It was a good book. Dont you think.

It is really different here. people smile at you, and me. they arent in such a rush, and they seem more genuine. they have each other's backs. The atmosphere is just overall more human/humane. You needn't be scared at every corner you turn. It's dark at night and light in the day. The nature is impeccable. It is just different. It's not a shithole.
It's ok to be a person here. Things remain still. There is open space.

i want to write at some point about the Lily, Rose, and Cinderblock joke, and how my first thoughts were about the positive functionalities of C-block as opposed to her obvious deficiencies.

more some other time. if you or i want.

No comments:

Post a Comment